Tips and advice time! Nail and hair care are two of my favorite topics! I’ve always been in love with finding new, healthy ways to help my hair and nails grow long and strong. So I’ve decided now it’s time I share my top 7 tips for long, healthy nails with all of you!
I’ve been using these tips and tricks for the last year and they have helped tremendously at getting my nails grow. I used to have a huge problem with my nails breaking as soon as they would get even a little long. It was so frustrating because I had to always keep my nails short. So I finally decided I needed to come up with a better routine that would help my nails grow and keep them strong and healthy.
Just to give you guys a little background about my nail care routine, I actually do not get my nails done at a salon. I do them myself. I found out that the constant filing and harsh nail polish they would use on my nails in the salon was adding to my brittle nails and making them break easier. So as soon as I started doing my own nails, my nails totally changed for the better! So let’s get to it.
7 Tips to Grow Long, Healthy Nails:
- Massage coconut oil over clean nails and cuticles. I swear by coconut oil. If you’ve read any of my hair posts you know I’m obsessed with it! I usually paint my nails once a week and before I do I take off all my nail polish and clean my nails then rub a little bit of coconut oil over my nails and the cuticles. I find it helps keep hangnails away and it keeps my nails super shiny and strong.
2. Use strengthening nail polish remover. I use any store brand nail polish remover that says strengthening in it. I don’t know what makes it different, but I do know when I switched to using this kind of nail polish remover my nails got a lot better!
3. Use Burt Bee’s Lemon cuticle wax. I rub this on my cuticles and nail beds once a week to help keep my cuticles in check.
4. Stop cutting the cuticle. I actually do not cut or push back my cuticles with instruments. I found that when salons used to do that I would always get painful hangnails. So now I just rub this stuff on my cuticles and use the pad of my finger to gentle push the cuticle upward. It has made a world of difference in stopping hangnails.
5. File your nails in the same direction. I use a basic revlon nail filer and I make sure I always file my nails in the same direction. I try not to move the file back and forth because that can create snags in your nails making it easier for them to break.
6. Take biotin or Multi-vitamins. I usually take prenatal vitamins every morning to help with my hair and nails grow. I swear prenatal vitamins are the reason my hair and nails grow like a weed. I know biotin has helped a lot of people too, so that is always an option. However, when I took biotin my skin broke out like crazy so I immediately stopped using it and just stick to my prenatals. (*make sure you check with your doctor if it is ok for you to take supplements and vitamins).
7. Stop using gel polish. This was a hard one for me. I used to get my nails done every 2 weeks and it was great cause they never chipped. However, I noticed every time I would go to change my color my nails looked more and more brittle to the point of being paper thin and it would actually start to hurt to put my nails under the UV light. So that’s when I knew, ok, this is probably not healthy for your nails and it’s time to stop lol. I now paint my nails with OPI Infinite Shine base coat, color, and top coat and the polish lasts for 1 week and looks beautiful.
So there you have it. These are my top 7 tips to grow your nails long and strong. I am in no way a professional or expert on this topic. I just know these are tips and tricks that have been working for me, so I figured I would share them with all of you.
If you guys have any tips you would like to share just comment below. I would love to hear them!
Talk to you guys soon!